Sunday, July 12, 2009

Week One Thing One

Reflections:

Let me start off by saying YAHOOO!!!!! I finally made it here. I feel as if I am a big success just being able to sit here and blog. Thanks Ms. Morgester for the helpful chat.

While I was reading the chapters I started reminiscing about when I was young and a library was just a library and now my children call it a Media Center. It amazes me on how much information we can obtain from libraries now and not to mention how we can collaborate and distribute information on the web.

The way that people can express themselves through the internet is wonderful and I fully agree that our students should be allowed to express themselves to a big audience of people. In some cases it might motivate some students to do better. Some children tend to work better when they know that they are going to have their material reviewed by an abundance of people. They will want to succeed and strive to do better to have a star like quality about themselves. The children now come from an era where technology is the now and is what they now. They change when it changes so why not educate them with the tools that they will need in the future. Like the quote in the book says, "In the future , how we educate our children may prove to be more important than how much we educate them."

If we educate our children in a way to which they know there is no telling what we can accomplish with them. Educate them on protecting others work and their own by creating and reviewing the

Five Steps to Avoid Copyright Problems: ( pg 139, Web 2.0 new tools, new schools)
  1. Create and implement a technology policy that includes a code of ethics and set of procedures.
  2. Review the entire policy with your educational community, students, teachers, and parents.
  3. Appoint a technology manager to conduct audits and maintain a log licenses and registration material.
  4. Teach ethical and legal behavior for technology use.
  5. Thank employees and students for supporting these steps.

Along with teaching about Copyright the other most important issue is the security and safety of the students. Teaching not only the students about internets security, but their parents and the community itself. It is so true with all the socializing done today on the web that nobody really knows who they are talking to on line. Having a contract in hand for parents and children to sign for security issues is a great idea. At least I personally think so.

After reading chapter 9 I started thinking that wouldn't it be great for every student to be able to turn their computer on at home and continue to work. I know carrying text books home for my son is a big deal. I also pondered the thought about children being able to take classes at any high school. I think that would be great to have an institution, such as a school, where children could get together, but if they say are not interested in a certain science class, but another high school offers one that they are interested in they could take that course on line. The entire country could use the same amount of graduation credits system. Something to ponder about.

Lastly, I chose to read Chapter 4. I can't wait to get started using some of the things that I read about. The thought crossed my mind that some high school kids might like to take this course. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm..... I hadn't thought about HS students taking the course. I don't see why they couldn't do it if there was someone who was going to be following up on and responding to their posts..... If there was a teacher who wanted to propose it for part of an existing course I don't see any problem with them using the site. And of course, there isn't any requirement that anyone be taking the class for credit to go through website.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Susan Koike and I am helping out as a moderator. I love your attitude and positive energy.You make a very valid point, we have to know what grabs our students. Technology grabs. If we use the tools of tech not only will it get their attention, but they're use of it will become enriched as well as their learning.
    Good luck on your journey!
    =]

    ReplyDelete